Chocolates that were once a favourite are not longer sold
Written 8th November 2022 | Subscribe to our Christmas newsletter
Quality Street is a firm favourite chocolate at Christmas time. It has been around for 85 years. Although the tin/box has changed many times throughout the years, the chocolate is still as delicious as it has been since it started in 1936.
The Quality Street was created by John and Violet Macintosh in West Yorkshire in 1890. John was known for his fantastic toffees and he set up the world's first Toffee factory.
The first tin of Quality Street was produced in 1936 and included were 11 chocolates and 7 toffees. It was sold for 2 shillings - in today's money that's the same as 10p (UK) and 10 cent (US).
Today there are currently 9 chocolates and 2 toffees.
The Purple One
This chocolate changed after the war when The Purple One's brazil nut was replaced by a hazelnut due to a shortage. You may notice that it is still a brazil nut shape.
It had a name change from Strawberry Cream.
This chocolate replaced the Chocolate Toffee Cup
This has always been a classic. Think toffee covered in chocolate.
Milk Choc Block
Yummy block of plain chocolate
Orange Chocolate Crunch
A crunchy chocolate orange
A delicious rectangle piece of fudge covered in chocolate
An chewy coconut favourited chocolate
A round chocolate with an orange cream filling.
A thin toffee shaped as a large penny.
Quality Street Chocolates that have been discontinued.
- Hazelnut Cracknell
- Hazelnut Éclair
- Honeycomb crunch
- Chocolate Nut Toffee Cream
- Malt Toffee
- Milk Chocolate Round (now replaced with Milk Choc Block in green wrapper)
- Peanut Cracknell
- Almond Octagon (replaced with Vanilla Octagon, but the latter is now discontinued as well)
- Gooseberry Cream (green fondant with a touch of Gooseberry Preserve covered in milk chocolate)
- Fig Fancy
- Apricot Delight
- Toffee Square (a small square of very hard toffee)
- Chocolate Truffle (brown square chunk, a soft truffle filling covered in milk chocolate)
- Montelimar Nougat
- Harrogate Toffee
- Fruits of the Forest Creme
- Smarties (ordinary cardboard box of Smarties, a 2004 promotion only)
- Coffee Cream
- Mint Fondant
- Toffee Deluxe (replaced by Honeycomb Crunch, reintroduced and then replaced by Chocolate Caramel Brownie)
- Crispy Truffle Bite (John Lewis stores only, black and gold recyclable foil)
- Chocolate Caramel Brownie (Discontinued in 2021)
- Vanilla Octagon